The Ag Research and Education Board has vacancy for Emmons County area
The State Board of Agricultural Research and Education (SBARE) is looking for a new member after the term of John Bollingberg of New Rockford expires at the end of June, according to Kelcey Holm, Emmons County Extension Agent.
Bollingberg represents the 10-county area of Eddy, Foster, Wells, Sheridan, Stutsman, Kidder, Burleigh, Emmons, Logan and Mc- Intosh counties.
In 1997, the State Board of Agricultural Research was established to be responsible for budgeting and policymaking for the North DakotaAgricultural Experiment Station. In 1999, the law was expanded to include responsibility for the NDSU Extension Service. The name also was changed to the State Board of Agricultural Research and Education.
A major part of SBARE’s work is to gather proposals for research and Extension and then prioritize the list. The prioritized list then is given to legislators for review.
Qualifications to serve as a board member include:
• Participation in and knowledge of the agricultural industries in North Dakota.
• Knowledge of and involvement in a variety of research and Extension programs in the local area.
• Local leadership experience.
• Willingness to serve on the SBARE, which includes board meetings, subcommittee assignments, preparation for board meetings and some involvement with decision makers.
• Willingness to communicate with other groups on how SBARE functions.
The four-year term begins July 1. An application form is available at the Extension Office located in the Courthouse and is due Feb. 15.
A committee will do interviews with the candidates before sending its recommendation to the State Board of Higher Education for final approval.