Historic ordination to be broadcast
For just the second time in its history, the Diocese of Bismarck will ordain six men to the diocesan priesthood. The ordination is Thurs., June 13, 2013.
KFYR-TV will broadcast the event live from the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit in Bismarck beginning at 3 p.m. KFYR News Director and anchor Monica Hannan will provide commentary alongside Fr. Brian Gross, pastor of the Church of Epiphany in Watford City and Our Lady of Consolation in Alexander.
The ordination broadcast is sponsored by the University of Mary and will be shown on KFYR’s Me-TV channel across the state. Me-TV is available on the following over-the-air channels: 5.2 in Bismarck, 10.2 in Minot, 8.2 in Williston and 7.2 in Dickinson. It is also available on cable: Midcontinent Communications (channel 595), N.D. Television Coop (channel 15), Beach Cable TV (channel 7.2), BEK Communications (channel 7), Reservation Telephone Co-op (channel 20) and SRT Communications (channel 78 or 109).
In addition, the event will be streamed online at kfyrtv.com.
“This is a historic moment for our diocese and we praise almighty God for his goodness in blessing our diocese and the whole Catholic Church with these six new priests,” said Bishop of Bismarck David Kagan. “Their ministry as priests is necessary and truly indispensable for the life of our church in western North Dakota and across the world.”
“With such a large number of men being ordained this year, the Cathedral will certainly be strapped for space,” explained Matthew Kurtz, director of communications for the Bismarck Diocese, adding that a ticket will be required for entrance at this year’s event.
“Now that the ordination will be broadcast on live TV and streamed online, thousands of people beyond the walls of the Cathedral will be able to share in this momentous event.”
The first time six men were ordained to the diocesan priesthood on the same day in the Bismarck Diocese was May 25, 2000.
The six men to be ordained on June 13 are:
• Rev. Mr. Patrick Cunningham from the Church of St. Therese (Minot). Cunningham has been appointed to be pastor of St. Bonaventure (Underwood), St. Catherine (Turtle Lake) and St. Edwin (Washburn).*
• Rev. Mr. Joseph Evinger from the Church of Sts. Peter and Paul (New Hradec). Evinger has been appointed to be parochial vicar for the Churches of St. Joseph (Williston) and St. John the Baptist (Trenton).
• Rev. Mr. Thomas Grafsgaard from the Church of Corpus Christi (Bismarck). Grafsgaard has been appointed to be parochial vicar for the Church of St. Leo (Minot) and part-time religion instructor for Bishop Ryan Catholic School.
• Rev. Mr. Jared Johnson from the Church of St. Joseph (Williston). Johnson has been appointed to be chaplain/instructor for St. Mary’s Central High School (Bismarck) and parochial vicar for Cathedral of the Holy Spirit (Bismarck).
• Rev. Mr. Corey Nelson from the Church of Our Lady of Grace (Minot). Nelson has been appointed to be parochial vicar for the Church of Saint Anne (Bismarck) and part-time religion instructor for St. Mary’s Central High School.
• Rev. Mr. Robert Shea from the Church of St. Paul (Hazelton). Shea has been appointed to be parochial vicar for the Church of Ascension (Bismarck) from July 1, 2013 – Sept. 1, 2013. He will then complete his post-graduate studies in Rome, Italy.
*All appointments are effective at noon July 1, 2013.